Friday, October 28, 2005

Nobody Understands!!!!

Today I ran into this lady I work with and she asked me when my "diet" was over... I told her my FAST would be over in a few days (more or less).

A couple of weeks ago, the entire team had gone out to lunch to celebrate the retirement of someone on another team that I don't know well at all, and I opted not to go. I ran into her that day and asked her how it went, and she said I should've come b/c I could've just had water and not ordered any food. When I explained to her that Muslims don't drink water during the fast either, she was shocked. Clearly trying not to sound offensive (and failing), she said, "but.. that.. doesn't.. seem logical, you know what I mean?"

What do you say to something like that? She clearly has no point of reference when it comes to fasting and doesn't seem to "get it" that it's a spiritual exercise. I'm not even sure if she realizes that I'm not doing this to lose weight.

Anyway, it got me thinking. If someone really did want to know more about my faith, how could I present it to them? A lot of information out there is either WRONG or (if written by a Muslim) really self-righteous. But I DID find something about Ramadan that's AWESOME and would speak well to anyone unfamiliar with Islam and fasting. Click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home