Monday, November 21, 2005

Zarqa Nawaz: Me and the Mosque

Zarqa Nawaz is a Muslim filmmaker in Canada who I first heard about in Azizah magazine. While getting her journalism degree, she produced a short film for an assignment and got a lot of people's attention. I actually saw her speak once at the 2003 ISNA convention. The convention featured a Muslim film fest, and I got to see her first two (short) films, "BBQ Muslims" and "Death Threat", both comedies. I am soooo impressed with her. Dude, she has four kids, and she does all this! Anyway, she just came out with a documentary called "Me and the Mosque," about how women are marginalized in North American mosques (so true...). I wanna see it sooo bad!!!! It seems to be playing mainly in Canada right now. Oh, well. Here are some links that tell a little bit about the documentary:

Also, here's a great blog entry posted earlier this year on the subject of women's spaces inthe mosque.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home