Wednesday, October 25, 2006

This is so stupid...

I just read this article in which the author takes it upon herself to declare that Muslim women who wear niqab should uncover their faces when others don't like it. Now, I'm no fan of niqab myself, but give me a break, lady.. It's not all about you!

Given that polite behavior is required of schoolteachers or civil servants in other facets of their jobs, it doesn't seem to me in the least offensive to ask them to show their faces when dealing with children or the public. If Western tourists can wear sarongs in Balinese temples to show respect for the locals, so, too, can religious Islamic women show respect for the children they teach and for the customers they serve by leaving their head scarves on but removing their full-face veils.

click here for full article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home