Thursday, March 29, 2007

I don't like Wudu.

Wudu messes up my makeup and hair, and it dries out my skin. I hate having to take off my shoes to make wudu at work. I hate the fact that praying is such a hassle--not because of the prayer itself, but because I need to go to the bathroom, make wudu, come back, put lotion on my now dry, nearly makeupless face and put more powder on top of the lotion. And THEN pray. Bah! It's even worse if you are in a public place and have to take off your shoes in some yucky public bathroom, make wudu while everying stares at you, wondering if you're a homeless person giving yourself a sponge-bath, and THEN pray, ONLY after you've found a safe place to pray that is low-profile enough not to not provoke someone into calling the TIPS hotline.

But I know that it is obligatory, and that there is good in it..

(5:6) YOU who have attained to faith! When you are about to pray, wash your face, and your hands and arms up to the elbows, and pass your [wet] hands lightly over your head, and [wash] your feet up to the ankles. And if you are in a state. requiring total ablution, purify yourselves. But if you are ill, or are travelling, or have just satisfied a want of nature, or have cohabited with a woman, and can find no water-then take resort to pure dust, passing therewith lightly over your face and your hands. God does not want to impose any hardship on you, but wants to make you pure, and to bestow upon you the full measure of His blessings, so that you might have cause to be grateful.

Here, Dr Muzammil H. Siddiqi gives a detailed response (scroll down to question 4) to someone who had similar complaints to mine (although I am not advocating the abolition of ablution). And here is an essay on cleanliness being part of your faith.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hijabi Apprentice said...

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dearest Wudu Hater (hehe)

I was actually going to ask you what you did about sunscreen after wudu the other day but I forgot. I think I'm going to have to buy a little bottle to keep in my purse/car/desk. I don't have the problem of it messing up my make up since I typically don't wear any but the washing off of the tinted moisturizer is a bit bothersome, but oh well.

And DUDE you know me, I'll drop and pray anywhere but making wudu in public bathroom is awkward for me.

I actually used to loathe wudu when I first converted but then I found some hadith about actually washing off sins and being rewarded from wudu so I was like hmmm I actually make out like a bandit in this deal :).

Looking forward to hanging with you next week!!!!

ma'a salaamah,

ha

8:43 AM  
Blogger Susy K said...

i actually have the same problem.. i do not like wudu. but what can u do..

10:16 PM  
Blogger Hijabi Apprentice said...

Compared to ghusl, wuduu is a piece of cake! Sheesh! I hate having wet hair!!!!!!

1:50 PM  
Blogger purvis said...

LOL.... you newlywed, you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home