Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Eat Your Heart Out, America's Test Kitchen

I want to share my favorite cooking site with y'all (yup, I said y'all, because I live in "the south"). It is called Simply Recipes.

I swear to you, WALLAHI, I have had the most success with this lady's recipes than I have with any cookbook or cooking website I have ever read. Here are some of my favorite recipes so far:

Mom's Chili Beans: I'm planning to have this for Suhoor during Ramadan. I call it fancy comfort food. I especially like the touch of jalapeno and the cilantro on top. I use turkey to make this and serve it over instant brown rice cooked with a pat of butter. Oh--and I use chipotle chili powder.

Classic Baked Chicken: This is SO EASY and soooo moist. It tastes like it came from a rotisserie. I added a bunch of extra spices like allspice and cajun spices. We eat it with pita bread and garlic potato sauce.

Moroccan Spiced Grilled Chicken Breasts
: Wow! Talk about flavor. Don't skip the marinating step!

Suzanne's Best Brownies: These are simply the best brownies I've ever tasted, much less made. They are very fudgy and have just the right balance of chocolate and sweetness.. And a hint of almond extract!

Here are two dishes I plan to try next:

Gingered Lemon Bars

Italian Sausages with Ratatouille
(with turkey Italian sausage, of course)

2 Comments:

Blogger Hijabi Apprentice said...

I am drooling and swooning at this post. Did I mention you will have full access to my kitchen when you come to visit?

2:41 PM  
Blogger purvis said...

What? I thought you were cooking for ME! Oh wait--you're giving birth or something, aren't you?

Anyway, I made the lemon bars last night--they were awesome! Not too sweet, and lemon and ginger are a good combo. The shortbread crust is good enough to eat by itself. The only thing is I didn't chop the crystallized ginger finely enough and every once in a while I get this mouthful of gelatinous ginger. Blech!

LOL @ drooling and swooning. Interesting visual!

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home