Monday, April 09, 2007

Dressing Like A Muslim Doesn't Have To Suck Anymore!

I just read this great article in the NYTimes about fashion choices for Muslim women. This beauty blog did a nice writeup on the article (thanks for the tip, mama!).

FOR Aysha Hussain, getting dressed each day is a fraught negotiation. Ms. Hussain, a 24-year-old magazine writer in New York, is devoted to her pipe-stem Levi’s and determined to incorporate their brash modernity into her wardrobe while adhering to the tenets of her Muslim faith. “It’s still a struggle,” Ms. Hussain, a Pakistani-American, confided. “But I don’t think it’s impossible.”

The article lists a couple of interesting links: Artizara.com is a really chic Islamic clothing site (dare I say, even more so than shukronline.com?), hijabshop.com is a lot more hip than your average hijab store, and... my favorite, Muslim Girl Magazine! This is looking like Azizah for Muslim teens and preteens. So great.. One thing to look forward to when I (Insha Allah) have daughters.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fatemeh said...

Salam!
I loved this article!!!
I also loved the fact that in the article, the author described the hijab as "not mandated by the Qur'an." I think that's the first time my personal religious belief about the hejab has been published in a major news source.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home