Monday, April 30, 2007

You can regain your virginity? Ew.

This is so sad, but unsurprising... In all cultures there is a double-standard when it comes to men's and women's sexual histories. But in Arab culture, and in the wider Muslim community, it's so pronounced as to lead to something known as a "hymenoplasty."

My husband--who is from the Middle East--told me that a lot of Arab guys will sleep with their girlfriends and then refuse to marry them. Because, they reason, if she is willing to sleep with him, who's to say she won't sleep with someone else? Of course, the same reasoning does not apply to HIM.

Sitting in a cafe near the Champs Elysees, the 26-year-old French-born woman of Algerian descent looks like any other Parisian. But two months ago, she did something none of her friends have done.

She had her hymen re-sewn, technically making her a virgin again.

(snip)

Sitting in the same cafe, a 19-year-old Moroccan studying in Paris who asked to be called Amel spoke just before her first consultation with Abecassis.

"I dated a boy when I was 15 and I didn't even realize what had happened," she said, referring to her first and only sexual experience. "I didn't understand what I did."

Her parents introduced her to a young man earlier this year, and they plan to wed when she returns to Morocco in June. But he would not accept a non-virgin, so she needs the operation soon.

click here for full article

Also, can someone explain to me why there is a picture of Muslim women in full hijab attached to this article? The women they interviewed here are self-described non-practicing Muslims.

1 Comments:

Blogger Manal said...

I wrote a post a while back regarding this very issue. It is not only disgusting but such a hypocrisy if you ask me. One, I feel bad for these women who have to go through such extremes just so they can be "married" and "live happily ever after". Which if you ask me, who are they fooling???

Honesty is very important in a marriage and if from the beginning you are setting yourself to live a lie, then I feel the woman is marrying the very wrong person to begin with. If a Muslim guy will not accept the woman's past, and especially if she repented, then mind my language, he is a piece of poop and she should be the one to drop him not the other way around. I know that this is easier said than done especially in the Middle East. But women HAVE GOT to start standing up for their rights.

The second thing, is the men here. The very men who want and demand virgins are themselves men who have been there and done that many many times. It is so hypocritical and such a joke really. In all honesty, I would not consider these male species who have this mentality and double standard crap, "MEN". If you think about it, it takes A LOT of balls to be a "REAL MAN". They are by far NOT "MEN" in my dictionary.....but perhaps a better word that fits perfectly "COWARDS".....Besides, I will tell you the reason they will not accept a virgin and it's because they are dirty themselves and they know it so they assume that a woman who had pre-marital sex will continue to have sex even after she marries. Which is EXACTLY what they (the cowards) WILL DO.....LOL

There is a saying for this.....I forget how it goes but I think it is something along the lines of: One will almost always perceive others in the way he/she perceives themselves......IE...if you are a liar, you will more than likely think every one is a liar and the list goes on........

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home