Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Whatever, JD Power.

If you've ever been to the Seattle airport, you'll undoubtedly find that it is--in the words of hijabiapprentice--"hellish and warlike." The Portland airport, on the other hand, is wonderful. I could live there, it's so awesome.

Well, according to JD Power or whatever, I am clearly confused. For a survey of medium-sized airports, they gave PDX two stars out of five, and SEA got THREE! WTF????!!!!

SEA rated higher than PDX in "food & beverage," "retail services," and "baggage claim."

Ok, listen. PDX is filled with retailers (food and otherwise), that are awesome local and regional businesses. Businesses like Coffee People, Nike Store (dude, Nike is from Portland), Pizzicato Pizza, The Oregon Pendleton Shop, Made in Oregon, and, of course, Powell's Books. And it's not just inside the security area, like in the stupid Houston airport. You'll find tons of stuff whether you are a traveler, or a dropper-offer/picker-upper. I once had coffee with an old friend at the airport, who was blowing through town and had little time to hang out, and it was great.

I cannot speak to the retail quality of the Seattle airport, but I can tell you this about the baggage claim: don't do it. I flew in there last Christmas and I swear, we were herded through that place like cattle until we finally made our way to the cramped and smelly baggage claim. We waited and waited in the dank, narrow dungeon that surrounded our carousel so we could just get our bags and get the hell out of there. Something smelled... was it a dead body? No, wait... someone was smoking right next to us, it seemed. Yet I saw no smokers... What the?

You cannot tell me that the Seattle airport is BETTER than the Portland airport. What are you, high? You just can't. I could go on, but I shouldn't even be blogging at work. Bah.

footnote: Conde Nast traveller is clearly smarter than JD Power. They named PDX the best airport for Business travel in 2006. I would expand on that and say it's the best airport for Human travel.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hijabi Apprentice said...

Whaaatttt!!!! So JD Power is on crack right? Did they even send anyone out to check these airports or did they go with what looks good on paper???!!! My word!

ps: I distinctly remember using the term "war-like" in my description of SEA-TAC but hellish and violent pretty much sums it up too ;).

2:49 PM  
Blogger purvis said...

Doh! You are right!! Here is your original email:

"Seattle Airport is hellish and warlike but at least there are a lot of great shops and restaurants."

I will have to correct this in my post.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Hijabi Apprentice said...

LOL! You are so silly :). But for real Seattle Airport sucks in comparison to PDX!

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home